Saturday, February 12, 2011

Weekend HW 2/12-2/14

Hello. For this weekend I would like you to read up to the part where Creon "enters from the side" and addresses the citizens. He says, "I hear King Oedipus levels terrible charges against me. I had to come. I resent it deeply." I have a different version, so look for this part about 30 pages into the play. Please read the text closely. Answer one question:

This play is know for its various levels of irony. What is ironic about Oedipus' statement to the citizens: "Well I know you are sick to death, all of you, but sick as you are, not one is sick as I" (Your book may be a little different. but the message should be similar).

Here are a few other books for your independent reading assignment:

Ford Madox Ford (The Good Soldier)
Saul Bellow (The Adventures of Augie March)

Truman Capote (In Cold Blood)
Emily Bronte (Wuthering Heights)
Anita Desai (Clear Light of Day)
Raymond Carver (
Cathedral)
Henry Fielding (Tom Jones)
Margaret Atwood (The Handmaid's TaleAlias GraceSurfacing)
Jane Austen (Pride and Prejudice)
James Baldwin (
Go Tell It on the Mountain)
Charlotte Bronte (
Jane Eyre)Charles Dickens (A Tale of Two CitiesGreat Expectations)
Louise Erdich (Antelope Wife)E.M. Forster (A Passage to India)
Kurt Vonnegut (Slaughterhouse Five)



No comments:

Post a Comment