Tuesday, January 4, 2011

HW 1/4

Hello. For tonight, please close read the first several pages of chapter 3. Amanda and Marissa will present tomorrow.

I will be assigning the third independent reading assignment in the very near future.

Lastly, it is now January and the AP exam is rapidly approaching. By March, we will move into much more AP prep. More terms, poetry, practical lessons, etc. With that said, you should be proactive and begin preparing on your own. You should buy a book and begin using it to study. You should practice writing essays and use me as a support system to fine tune your writing. In other words, if you are relying on the class as your only source of preparation, you are going to be highly disappointed in your results. There is no way that a class like this can adequately prepare you for a test as complex and in-depth as the AP Lit. exam. Please purchase - or rent - a book to help you. If you cannot, see me and I will help you get one. I have plenty at school.

Finally, see me about your writing. I'm not going to lie. It is easy for me to ignore the fact that nobody has scheduled a writing conference. It takes a lot of my time to meet with students, and frankly, I have a lot of other things going on as a teacher.  I used to make students do this, but I've learned over the years that making students see me does not improve student writing. So...

Have a great night.

1 comment:

  1. So if we write practice essays on our own, you will be more than happy to grade them, for us if we go to you?

    ReplyDelete